New England Cancer Specialists
Treating Cancer with Leadership, Innovation, and Compassion
NE Cancer Specialists is a private medical group practice of oncologists (doctors who specialize in cancer) and hematologists (doctors who specialize in blood disorders) committed to making life better for adults with cancer and blood disorders. We are the largest private oncology practice in northern New England, with 13 board-certified, fellowship-trained medical oncologists and hematologists as well as 6 highly experienced nurse practitioners.
As medical oncologists and hematologists, our treatment focus is chemotherapy and supportive therapies. We have earned an outstanding reputation for our multidisciplinary approach to patient-centered cancer care, working closely with surgeons, radiation oncologists and other cancer specialists to ensure that each patient benefits from an integrated plan of care. The practice also fields the largest clinical research effort in Maine, giving patients access to innovative protocols through clinical trials and translational research.
Scroll down to read or click on a tab here to go directly to that content
NE Cancer Specialists provides a range of services to help make life better for adults with cancer or blood disorders. These services include:
- State-of-the-art chemotherapy, including the latest targeted therapies, to optimize outcomes for patients with virtually all types of cancer.
- Careful management of side effects and attention to patients' quality of life during treatment, a capability enhanced by the presence of an oncology pharmacist on the NE Cancer Specialists team (NE Cancer Specialists was the first practice of its kind in Maine to have an oncology pharmacist on staff).
- Chemotherapy classes. Education and management of expectations allow patients and families to better understand and cope with the treatment process.
- Maine's largest clinical research program, giving patients diagnosed with cancer in Maine access to the very latest clinical trials, investigational new drugs and new protocols.
- Genetic counseling to help patients with a family history of cancer understand and proactively manage their risk of this disease.
- When curative treatment is no longer the goal, NE Cancer Specialists can - at the patient's request - facilitate compassionate care through palliative care and hospice, enabling the patient to live as fully and comfortably as possible.
Why NE Cancer Specialists is the region's leading medical oncology practice
- With Maine's largest, most comprehensive team of medical oncologists and hematologists, NE Cancer Specialists offers a level of clinical expertise and experience that is unrivaled in northern New England. For patients, this means they do not have to travel to Boston for access to extensive medical oncology and hematology treatment resources that are conveniently located right here, close to home. NE Cancer Specialists has offices in Scarborough, Brunswick, Sanford and Biddeford. NE Cancer Specialists physicians also travel to clinics in North Conway, NH and Norway, ME so patients can be treated close to home.
- Multidisciplinary collaboration between NE Cancer Specialists's medical oncologists and Maine Medical Center (MMC) surgeons, radiation oncologists, pathologists and other cancer specialists. Each patient benefits from an integrated, coordinated plan of care.
- NE Cancer Specialists is home to Maine's largest and most robust clinical research program, as well as ongoing translational research initiatives that help to bring basic laboratory findings from the bench to the bedside more quickly.
- More than 50 clinical trials are active at NE Cancer Specialists, giving patients access to new cancer treatments that would not be available otherwise. New trials are opened constantly to keep up with evolving standards of care. Equally important, there are thousands of clinical trials in the U.S. to which NE Cancer Specialists physicians refer patients when appropriate.
- NE Cancer Specialists's translational research focuses on personalized oncology treatment, designing tests that will someday enable clinicians to characterize individual tumors at the molecular level so they can predict which patients will likely benefit from a given therapeutic agent. NE Cancer Specialists is engaged in translational research projects addressing areas such as lung cancer and glioblastoma.
- NE Cancer Specialists investigators and scientists also work closely with the Maine Medical Center Research Institute (MMCRI) to share findings and resources that help them stay on the leading edge of advances in cancer diagnosis and treatment. NE Cancer Specialists also assists MMCRI with obtaining tissue and blood samples from consenting patients. This allows MMCRI to work with human samples, as well as animal and in vitro.
- Comprehensive and compassionate approach to care that also addresses the patient's and family's psychosocial needs.
- Patient Financial Advocates (PFAs) help patients and their families understand their insurance coverage. If the patient is underinsured or not insured, the PFAs guide the patient through the process of obtaining coverage and financial assistance.
- NE Cancer Specialists is a trusted resource for cancer treatment information, maintaining a continually updated Web site to help patients diagnosed with cancer to be prepared and informed. An up-to-date cancer clinical trials database is also available on the NE Cancer Specialists Web site.
NE Cancer Specialists physicians provide inpatient cancer care at Maine Medical Center as well as at other Maine hospitals in the vicinity of their offices, and they see patients on an outpatient basis at their four offices:
100 Campus Drive, Suite 108 (on MMC's Scarborough campus)
Scarborough, ME 04074-9308
81 Medical Center Drive, Suite 1300G (on the campus of Mid Coast Hospital)
Brunswick, ME 04011
26 West Cole Road (adjoining the Southern Maine Medical Center campus)
Biddeford, ME 04005-9407
27 Industrial Avenue (within the Cancer Care Center of York County, linked with Goodall Hospital)
Sanford, ME 04073
NE Cancer Specialists physicians also hold clinics at the following satellite locations:
- The Memorial Hospital, North Conway, NH
- Stephens Memorial Hospital, Norway, ME